Staying Safe

Blackburn with Darwen is a safe place to live, work and visit.

There is more information about keeping yourself safe on the Council website. 

Hate crime is when someone is violent or threatening to you because of your race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. If you think you are a victim of hate crime, you should report it to the Police. 

  • In an emergency always call 999. 
  • If it is not an emergency, call 101. 
  • You can also use the Lancashire Police website to report a hate crime. 

Domestic abuse is any kind of violence or other abuse between family members. This can be violent or controlling behaviour by a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, partner, father, mother, son or daughter who lives with you or lives elsewhere.

If you think you are a victim of domestic abuse, you should contact The Wish Centre – call 01254 260465 (seven days a week, 9am — 5pm); after 5pm, call 0808 2000 247. 

Humraaz Support Services also provides support to black and minority ethnic women who are experiencing domestic abuse — call 01254 695800 or visit 

If you need the help of the Police, the Fire Service or an ambulance in an emergency, you should call 999.  

We are adding more information to this page soon. 

Want to find out more about joining a class?